Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Reservoir Warblers and Tennessee Elsewhere

So on Monday evening, I was birding in the Ramble where it was nearly devoid of birds, when I heard that Ryan had found a Bay-Breasted Warbler at the south side of the Reservoir. I rushed up there to find a large flock of many species of warbler. After a while, I got a brief look at the Bay-Breasted (#142), but the light kept getting worse and I left. The next day, I went there in the afternoon just to see if there was more to this place. Indeed, I saw 13 species of warblers there, including a few more Bay-Breasteds, a Cape May (also seen on Monday), and a Blackburnian. Today, I had similar haul, with about a dozen species seen there, including the previously mentioned three. Aside from that, I went to chase a Tennessee Warbler that was sighted at the Weather Station, Belvedere Castle, and Turtle Pond. I first went to the Turtle Pond dock, where there were a few warblers, but nothing special. Next, I went to Shakespeare Garden, where I heard calls that sounded suspicious, but it turned out they were coming from a cardinal. I then went to the path leading up to the castle, when I spotted a few warblers in the trees. I laid my eyes on a bird that looked a bit like a vireo, but smaller. I could have the bird in my sights! Now I just had to find a defining feature. Then the bird started to sing. It was an unmistakable Tennessee Warbler (#143) song! Somehow, I have managed to relocate this rapidly moving bird after hours of not being seen. And just as quickly as it appeared, it flew towards the Turtle Pond dock and vanished.

No comments:

Post a Comment