Friday, June 3, 2016

May in Review and June Targets

May was a great month. I started it off with few additions, but got a lifer, which were 3 SEASIDE SPARROWS by 55th street and the West Side Highway. When fallout hit on the 8th, I got many migrants a bit later than normal, but it also gave me rarities, which were AMERICAN BITTERN (Oven), YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT HERON (Point), and CHUCK-WILL'S-WIDOW (Mugger's Woods), along with Yellow-Billed Cuckoo (didn't see last year), which I would see more of that month. The next day, I got good looks at a Hooded Warbler, along with Wilson's and 16 other species of warbler. On what I would call the "big weekend" (May 14-15), I had many additions including 3 Olive-Sided Flycatchers (both days, self-found one), 2 Spotted Sandpipers (Sunday), Mourning Warbler (Sunday, self-found on the 28th), a definite (singing) Gray-Cheeked Thrush (Sunday), and a sleeping Common Nighthawk at the Great Hill (Sunday). In the second half of the month, I had several Bay-Breasted and Blackburnian Warblers. On the 18th, I successfully refound a singing Tennessee Warbler at Belvedere Castle (I don't know how I did it!) and the following day I saw a CERULEAN WARBLER at the Humming Tombstone. My last addition was long overdue, a Turkey Vulture flying high over the Polish Statue on the 29th. Meanwhile, June seems like it has almost no potential. The only place where I might find stuff is Governor's Island (Common Tern, Killder, Yellow-Crowned Night Heron, and even there, a few of its targets have already been seen by me (Laughing Gull, Fish Crow). Also, never rule out the potential for a rarity!

No comments:

Post a Comment