Monday, January 9, 2017

Day 9: Pintail Finally Surrenders!

This afternoon, I went through the park south for the Northern Pintail that I missed on my last few attempts. Along the way, I added a Northern Flicker (#45) near the MET, and a Cooper's Hawk (#46) at Maintenance Meadow. I then got to the pond. On my first scan, I didn't see the Northern Pintail, but I saw it (#47) shortly after. While looking at the ducks in the Pond, I spotted two sparrows foraging right at the side of the path. The first was a Song Sparrow, but the second was a Swamp Sparrow (#48)! I know I will see this bird in the spring, but I wasn't sure if I could find a wintering one. A great day, and hopefully I'm on track to break my record of 56 birds set last month. Here is an overview of what I saw last year in January but not this January (yet), and vice versa.

What I saw this year but not last year
Northern Pintail
Green-Winged Teal
Turkey Vulture
Red-Headed Woodpecker
Red-Breasted Nuthatch
Swamp Sparrow


What I saw last year but not this year
Snow Goose
Gadwall (likely to see)
Ring-Necked Duck
Common Merganser
Great Horned Owl
American Kestrel (likely to see)
Peregrine Falcon (likely to see)
Hairy Woodpecker
Ruby-Crowned Kinglet
Orange-Crowned Warbler

No comments:

Post a Comment