Sunday, February 12, 2017

Day 41: Ring-Necked Ducks Finally Appear!

On Friday, I heard about a pair (male/female) of Ring-Necked Ducks that had appeared that morning near the south pumphouse of the Reservoir. This species is an annual winter visitor to the Reservoir, usually appearing by December. This season, there was a pair in one day in November which I did not chase because I saw one in January of last year. Since then, there were surprisingly no reports until now. I went to the Reservoir that afternoon, and the pair (#58) were sleeping right by the south pumphouse in a flock of Hooded Mergansers (a species that I don't usually see flock). On another note, February is probably tied with June for the second least productive month for the year, after July. I will likely only add a few species, barely making it past 60 species. Red-Winged Blackbird seems to be the only bird I will likely see.

No comments:

Post a Comment