Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Year Birding Schedule

Here is my thought out schedule. With this, I hope to get around 90 more species or higher, beating my total of 135 with about 140-160 species. There will certainly be unexpected birds along the way (Common Redpoll) and ones seen much earlier than anticipated (Pine Siskin, Red-Breasted Nuthatch). There may also be alterations to the schedule. For example, my total for April may be less than 15 new birds, then I get 40 new ones in May. Getting better every year, I think I will hit at least one of the April vagrant warblers (Yellow Throated, Cerulean, Prothonotary) as well as some of the missed-by-a-few-minutes birds (Lincolns Sparrow,Worm-Eating Warbler, etc.). I can't wait to see what suprises will happen along the way. I can bird pretty casually for the next month and a half, but once the flowers start to bloom, I'll have to spring into action!

February: 5-10
March: 10-15
April: 20-25
May: 20-25
June: up to 5
July: ?
August: up to 5
September: 5-10
October: up to 10
November: up to 5
December: up to 5

Nearly all of the birding will be done in Central Park. I might get a few species down at Battery Park, where I take classes and sometimes work, a few more if I go to Randall's Island, and an unknown number for those hard to find birds and vagrants that sometimes appear around Manhattan.

No comments:

Post a Comment