Saturday, August 29, 2015

Empid Identified!

I went out birding in The Ramble in Central Park yesterday morning. The day started out at the point with American Redstarts and a Black-and-White Warblers. I then went to the oven, where I found a pair of Common Yellowthroats and a Northern Waterthrush. I hung around there a little longer than usual, but it paid off. I saw a large duck-sized bird fly out from behind the willow being mobbed by grackles. I put my binoculars on it, and it turned out to be a GREEN HERON! I then went to Azalea Pond, where I found another waterthrush, as well as my first Magnolia Warbler and Black-Throated Blue Warbler (female) of the year. Laupot Bridge unfourtunately did not hold any waterthrushes, through there was one a bit upstream. I then went to Maintenance, where I heard there were many birds. I was only able to see a few before they all left, including Common Yellowthroats. a Canada Warbler, an Eastern Wood-Pewee, and a Great Crested Flycatcher. I then went to Tupelo Meadow, where birds from Maintenance sometimes head. The birds were behind the meadow, but these were certainly not the cast of characters seen at Maintenance Field. A Swainson's Thrush popped out of the shrubs. An willow/alder flycatcher flew by. A Magnolia Warbler and Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher flitted right above us. Then, I spotted another empidonax flycatcher, likely the same bird. Everyone scrambled to try to identify it. But before they could, it started calling, and it became clear it was an ALDER FLYCATCHER! This is one of the more uncommon flycatchers that comes through the city. I probably have seen this difficult-to-identify bird before. but this is now definitely on my life list. 7 species of warbler and 1 life bird made this a great morning. Finally, a new addition to the year list!

Black-Throated Blue Warbler
American Redstart
Northern Waterthrush
Common Yellowthroat
Magnolia Warbler
Black-and-White Warbler
Canada Warbler
ALDER FLYCATCHER (Year bird #139!)
Eastern Wood-Pewee
Great Crested Flycatcher
Warbling Vireo
Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher
SWAINSON'S THRUSH
GREEN HERON

No comments:

Post a Comment