Saturday, August 15, 2015

I Find an Early Thrush

On Thursday morning, I did a search of The Ramble for migrants. I found 3 warbler species fairly easily, which were Northern Waterthrush, American Redstart, and Black-and-White Warbler. I then took a break at Evodia Field. After several minutes, I was surprised when a thrush started to come towards me. We were both startled and the bird flew, but I was able to get more looks. There was no doubt that this was an early migrant. It was hard to tell, but it may have been the Hermit Thrush reported a few days previously, due to its tail looking a bit reddish, but it still could have been a Swainson's or Gray-Cheeked. After the bird disappeared, I went to Warbler Rock, where I found what was either a Magnolia Warbler or a Canada Warbler, as well as another thrush, which was a Swainson's! Later, I went to Maintenance Field, where I saw an Ovenbird, and to Tupelo, where I found 2 empidonax flycatchers (Willow/Alder?) and a definite Canada Warbler. 5-6 warbler species today, with the Canada Warbler bringing my warbler count up to 11.

Interesting Species:

1 Canada Warbler
Northern Waterthrush
1 Ovenbird
Black-and-White Warbler
American Redstart
2 Empidonax sp.
Eastern Kingbird (heard)
SWAINSON'S THRUSH
Barn Swallow
Red-Eyed Vireo
Northern Flicker
Red-Bellied Woodpecker

No comments:

Post a Comment