Friday, December 5, 2014

Cassin's Kingbird Makes An Appearance!

On November 16th, a Cassin's Kingbird was seen by a single observer at Floyd Bennet Field in Brooklyn. This would be only the 2nd record of this species in New York State. A week later the bird was refound and had been seen by dozens of birders in the days following. On Sunday, I decided to go there with my dad to try to find the bird. The bird is usually seen at the Community Garden, not far from the visitors center. Once I got there, we ran into several birders who were looking at the kingbird. It took me a minute to find it due to there being tons of poles, structures, and fences there. When I saw it, it was unlike any other bird I have seen before. It was clearly the Cassin's, due to its grayer chest than a Western Kingbird. It constantly flew around and flycatched so much, that I actually went around the whole garden just chasing the bird! At one point, I was able to get within 20 feet of the bird when it landed on a fence on the end of the garden and was able to take a blurry picture that clearly shows a yellow-bellied kingbird. I can see why it chose the Community Garden and not the more natural bird areas in Floyd Bennet Field. There were literally hundreds of perfect perches to scan for insects from in the garden, most of them being poles or fences. If you want to try your luck with this bird, it still frequents the Community Garden and was still being seen today
(Dec. 5) . This bird is sometimes not be found there, especially in the evening. when it roosts outside the garden. I wish whoever tries to find this bird good luck!

P.S. The only other notable birds I saw were 2 Song Sparrows.

No comments:

Post a Comment