Sunday, November 30, 2014

First Rare Bird of the week! BOTW #7

Sorry that I took a break from Bird of the Week last week. This one is good though. This week's bird is Cassin's Kingbird!

Cassin's Kingbirds are around 8-9 inches long. They have a grey head, back and chest, yellow underside, a white chin, black wingbars, and a white-tipped tail. Their tail and beak as well as a more grayish chest can help distinguish it from the closely related Western Kingbird. They make a "quaeer" sound when calling. They can be found in open fields and farms.

They breed in the Southwest U.S., Mexico, and the Rocky Mountains. Almost all of them head to Mexico in the winter. This bird is a very rare vagrant to New York State, with only one prior record in 2007 to one currently being seen at Floyd Bennet Field. Today I went there to see if I could find the bird. I will let you know next week whether I found the bird or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment