Thursday, November 6, 2014

Why are These Wrens Pretending To Be Each Other's Species?

This post doesn't fit in the schedule, but it is a bit interesting. Winter Wrens are one of the smallest songbirds in America. For some reason, the wrens I've seen in Central Park are always House Wrens and the ones I've seen in other parks are always Winter Wrens. The last 2 parks I went to were Cal Shrautz (please correct me on spelling), where I got most of the common fall species, and a large playground in Battery Park City, where I only saw a few common fall species. The Winter Wren at Cal Shrautz was under a bush next to a bench, and the one at the playground was on a path next to a rock formation. I don't know what it is, but is it something with the birds, or am I just lucky?

UPDATE 11/7: Found a very cooperative wren in the garden in front of my building. Came within a few feet of me a few times. At one point I viewed the bird from above. Surprisingly, it was another Winter Wren! What is up with me and these birds?

No comments:

Post a Comment