Thursday, June 4, 2015

2015 Spring Migration has Ended

On Sunday in Central Park, nearly all of the migrants had left the area. The only warblers to be found were a few Blackpoll Warblers and American Redstarts. The most (and only) numerous migrants were the Cedar Waxwings, which also nest in the park. Speaking of which, I saw quite a few nesting birds on the walk that day. In one Willow Tree at Turtle Pond, there were the nests of Common Grackle (2), Eastern Kingbird, Baltimore Oriole, and a very hidden Orchard Oriole nest (I saw no Orchard Orioles). A few potential nesters were around, such as Great Crested Flycatchers. We saw 2 together by The Gill, and they followed us to the rock behind the Summer House. Meanwhile, the Warbling Vireo pair at Maintenance Meadow is tending to the nest a lot, swapping places sometimes, which means they probably have eggs. I think this day officially marks the end of migration season and the begining of nesting season. As for the warblers, I'll see many again this August. Still, today was productive for the year, as Great Crested Flycatcher was a new addition which I had missed at least once this year. The last time I saw one of these birds in the city was of a family in the Bronx in July 2012, although I did see one at camp last summer trying to blend in with Eastern Kingbirds. Good Birding!

No comments:

Post a Comment