Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ravin' for Ravens!

Hi everyone! Sorry for the lack of posts. There just aren't many birds of interest around during the summer doldrums (early June-late July). One of these few birds is the Common Raven. This large corvid has only recently began to (re)colonize the city. Earlier this month, a pair was confirmed to have fledged 3 young in the Chelsea neighborliness of Manhattan. But there haven't been any sightings within the last few days. I went there yesterday to try and find the ravens. I went to a spot my friend told me about, which is at 23rd street and 9th avenue. I alternated, spending time at the spot and wandering nearby. After a while, I grew anxious. Then, as I was wandering nearby, I saw a corvid fly across 24th street. I rushed to 23rd after not seeing the bird on the building at 24th. I knew the bird couldn't have flown away that quickly, so it must have been out of view on the building. After several minutes of waiting, I saw two birds flying just above the building. One bird was a crow, but the other was much bigger. A raven! The crow was trying to chase the raven away, trying to get it out of the neighborhood. I heard the raven call once, soon after which the crow chased the raven out of sight, perched on the building and then flew away. Common Raven boosts my year list to 134.

No comments:

Post a Comment