Sunday, September 6, 2015

Many Species, Low Numbers

I went on a new early 7:30 am birdwalk on Saturday, so no pre-walk birding. We started out with an Eastern Kingbird eating berries near the boathouse, but we were having trouble finding birds after that. Once we found our first warblers after a while of nothing, which were 2 Magnolia Warblers and a Common Yellowthroat at the Swampy Pin Oak, we started getting species fast. Northern Parula, Ovenbird, Chestnut-Sided Warbler. We kept getting species and by 9 am, we had 9 warbler species. When the second birdwalk at 9 am joined us, we went to The Oven to find a Red-Tailed Hawk hanging out there and drinking the water. We also found nearly all of the warblers we saw before. At the Upper Lobe, I heard a bird calling which I recognized as an Ovenbird. As I found the small, brownish, black-speckled bird, I saw a larger brownish, black-speckled bird above it. It was a thrush, obviously, and seemed to have a reddish tint. I was so excited that I had just found a WOOD THRUSH! Others were able to confirm its identity, and it was one of the highlights of our day. We also found a Ruby-Throated Hummingbird at Tupelo Meadow (one later wasn't seen by me). Just before the walk ended, we found our 10th warbler species of the day, a really high Blue-Winged Warbler. It seems like today had good diversity, but low numbers. Here is what I saw today.

American Redstart
Northern Parula
Northern Waterthrush
Ovenbird
Yellow Warbler
Chestnut-Sided Warbler
Magnolia Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
Blue-Winged Warbler
Black-and-White Warbler
Great Crested Flycatcher
Eastern Wood Pewee (heard)
Eastern Kingbird
Veery
WOOD THRUSH (at the Upper Lobe)
Warbling Vireo
Red-Eyed Vireo
Baltimore Oriole
Ruby Throated Hummingbird

No comments:

Post a Comment