Saturday, September 12, 2015

Nashville, Tennessee (Warblers!)

Yesterday morning I went into the park hoping for warblers. While there were many birds, the light was terrible, and I was only to identify 6 common species, as well as a Rose-Breasted Grosbeak. In the afternoon, I hung out around Maintenance Field looking for a Yellow-Breasted Chat that was reported there. A guys there said he saw a large yellow and olive bird fly into some vegetation and I was able to find it. It was a Great Crested Flycatcher. A good bird in itself, with similar colors, but not what I was looking for. I hung out there for a while, during which I saw 2 empids, 3 redstarts, a Downy Woodpecker, 2 Eastern Kingbirds, and all the Red-Eyed Vireos and Veerys you could ask for. I then met up there with my friend, Ryan. We looked around the field, and found an empid, possibly one of the birds from before. Oh how fun the empid game is for a birder. Fortunately, the bird made a "wit" call, and we were able to deduce that it was a Willow Flycatcher. Year bird #140! After that, we then went to Azalea Pond, which wasn't that active, and we headed down to Laupot Bridge. There, we spotted a Northern Parula. Then we realized that we found a flock of about a half dozen warblers at least. We started identifying them one by one. Chestnut-Sided Warbler, Magnolia Warbler, another Parula. A Pewee gives good looks for us. Then, we spotted an interesting warbler. It turns out to be a Tennessee Warbler. Year bird #141! Not long after seeing the Tennessee, we saw a parula that didn't look right. We noticed the eye ring and concluded it was definitely a Nashville Warbler! It was a good day for birds, with me seeing 9 species of warblers, and also adding to birds to my year list! Here is what I found:

American Redstart
Northern Parula
TENNESSEE WARBLER (#141)
NASHVILLE WARBLER
Common Yellowthroat
Black-and-White Warbler
Chestnut-Sided Warbler
Magnolia Warbler
Ovenbird
WILLOW FLYCATCHER (#140)
Eastern Wood-Pewee
Great Crested Flycatcher
Eastern Kingbird
Red-Eyed Vireo
Warbling Vireo
Veery
Swainson's Thrush
Rose-Breasted Grosbeak
Ruby-Throated Hummingbird (Tupelo Meadow)
Gadwall (Over a dozen at Turtle Pond)

No comments:

Post a Comment