Saturday, October 17, 2015

Sparrow Hideout

On Thursday, I entered the park yesterday evening from 90th street. I walked along a wood chip path just west of the Reservoir, and I started seeing birds. I saw a Black-Throated Blue Warbler, Palm Warblers, Yellow-Rumped Warblers, Ruby-Crowned Kinglets, Song Sparrows, White-Throated Sparrows, Dark-Eyed Juncos, and Chipping Sparrows. The field the sparrows were in was sloped, so I was able to get on the top and look down on them. Searching through the sparrows, I was able to pick out a Field Sparrow. Not long after that, I spotted a gray and tan sparrow hanging out with a few Song Sparrows. A Lincoln's Sparrow! I only saw it briefly before it flushed. I then spotted a White-Crowned Sparrow in the flock. It seemed so amazing that a spot rarely visited by birders could hold so many birds!

Black-Throated Blue Warbler
Yellow-Rumped Warbler
Palm Warbler
Ruby-Crowned Kinglet
LINCOLN'S SPARROW
WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW (another one later at the Pinetum)
Field Sparrow
Dark-Eyed Junco
White-Throated Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Chipping Sparrow
Hermit Thrush
Northern Shoveler (4 at the Reservoir)
Wood Duck (2 males at Turtle Pond)

No comments:

Post a Comment