Saturday, October 15, 2016

American Wigeon 2016

On October 6th, an American Wigeon was reported somewhere in Central Park. While the report seemed reliable, nobody knew where it could be. Only at the end of the day did someone spot it (a female) at the Harlem Meer, and by that time many birders have gone home. On the 7th, it was refound and I went up there to search for it in the afternoon. When I got there, I noticed that there were dozens of Gadwalls and Northern Shovelers I had to sort through to find the wigeon. I headed to the south end after failing to spot it in the flock, where I did find a beautiful Black-Throated Green Warbler, but then I had an idea. I should head to the steps on the northeast corner of the Meet because it appeared to be the best vantage point that wasn't facing the sun and there appeared to be a few birders there. When I got there, they told me it was close to the reedy shore within the duck flock and left. It was hard to sort through the sleeping shovelers and similar-looking female Gadwalls, but I was able to pick out the American Wigeon among the flock (#160) after several minutes. This was a repeat of last year, with another bird, a male, present around the same time. Also a repeat, 2 Green-Winged Teal had been reported there instead of just 1, but I decided to skip it as it was getting late (at least one of the teal was on the west side of the Meer). From here on out, other than Pine Siskin and some raptors, I have to rely on fall rarities to increase my year list.

No comments:

Post a Comment