Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Red-Headed Woodpecker 2016

On Tuesday, October 18th, I heard of a report of Red-Headed Woodpecker at Laupot Bridge. After entering Central Park and going through the Pinetum and Shakespeare Garden. I arrived at the woodpecker spot. It was being seen up in a tall locust tree when I got there, and it took me a minute to spot it, but I got great views of the adult RED-HEADED WOODPECKER (#162). The bird stayed in the tree for more than a half hour, and I also had a late Magnolia Warbler in the same location to keep me company while the woodpecker was hiding. It eventually flew off, but others saw it later that afternoon. Ever since then, there have been occasional reports of  Red-Headed Woodpecker in the Ramble, and recently a younger bird has taken up residence at Sheep Meadow. At this stage in year listing, the only regular birds that I have a chance of getting are some of the later migrating raptors and Pine Siskins (if they ever show up). Rarities are what I'm hoping for, and I hope to find one of them no matter what it is. Last fall, other than the "large yellow-bellied" flycatcher in December, I had no rarities, but I did have some late migrants, including Pine Warbler and Black-and-White Warbler in November.

No comments:

Post a Comment