Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Marsh Wren 2016

On Tuesday, September 27, I went to try to search for a Marsh Wren spotted near in the Lower Lobe in Central Park (the southwestern corner of the Lake). When I got there, among the House Sparrows, I spotted a small, green warbler foraging in the shrubs right next to the path. What would a warbler be doing there? It was easy to identify it as a Tennessee Warbler! Not new for the year or even the fall, but still a very unique opportunity to observe it up close. After a few minutes of watching it, I searched for the Marsh Wren, but came up empty and gave up. It was seen about 45 minutes after I left. The next day, I tried for it again. First, I and other birders refound the Tennessee Warbler, and discovered that there was a second one with it. We then started to search for the wren, but it was extremely difficult. Not only was there plenty of places for it to hide, but there were also Common Yellowthroats, Song, and Swamp Sparrows, as well as the Tennessee Warblers to confuse it with. After over an hour, we spotted the wren distantly flying across the Lake. I searched on the other side but could not refind it. After about 10 more minutes, we refound the MARSH WREN (#159) and were greatly rewarded for our efforts. The wren came within 2 feet of us at times! It gave great views and was agitated by a pair of raccoons nearby, but somehow successfully scared them off. After about 15 minutes the wren flew deeper into the cattails. With the light fading and many good looks at the wren, I decided to call it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment