Wednesday, October 2, 2013

On September 29, I went biking in Central Park with my grandfather. I was also on a lookout for any birds. Our first stop was the North Woods. We ran into 2 birders who claimed they saw a red headed woodpecker nearby. They also told me it flew west and was probrably gone. Shortly after that I found a Song Sparrow and a Common Yellowthroat. As is went along a path paralell to the stream, I got some good birds there. There were several spots where I could view the stream and whatever birds were there clearly. At one of them I found a Veery. At another, I found a Swainson's Thrush and a Golden Crowned Kinglet. The kinglet was my first of the season! I also went to a small hill on the way. I thought there may be nothing there. But one of the short trees was swarming with several Cedar Waxwings! As I was leaving the North Woods, I heard a report of a large flock of Palm Warblers at a spot called the Grassy Knoll, which is just northwest of the North Meadow. It took us forever to find it, but we made it. We could hear the birds all around us but we couldn't see them. Then, I saw 2 birds fly into a tree. They were both Palm Warblers. Soon, the other birds showed themselves. There were at least 5 of them. I got great video of one bird that foraged on a rock near me. After that, we did a quick rock to The Ramble, but found no birds there at all. We took a break at the fountain at the southern end of the lake. It suprisingly had a few bird species there. I saw a Yellow Bellied Sapsucker on a tree. As I went to get a closer look at the bird, I spotted something in the corner of my eye. It turned out to be a Ruby Throated Hummingbird. When those birds were gone, I sat down again. When I looked up, I saw a massive flock of Chimney Swifts circling above the fountain. It was amazing!

Here is the species count for today:

Camada Goose
Mallard
Herring Gull
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Chimney Swift
Ruby Throated Hummingbird
Northern Flicker
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker
Blue Jay
American Crow (heard)
Golden Crowned Kinglet
Veery
Swainson's Thrush
American Robin
European Starling
Gray Catbird
Cedar Waxwing
Palm Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
Song Sparrow
White Throated Sparrow
Northern Cardinal
Common Grackle
House Sparrow

Total: 25 species

No comments:

Post a Comment