Thursday, October 10, 2013

Slow Birding

On Sunday I went birding in the Ramble in Central Park. It was could and it sometimes drizzled a bit. My first stop was the Matinence Meadow. There I found a flock of about 15-20 CEDAR WAXWINGS. There was also a large flock of sparrows on the ground, consisting of HOUSE,WHITE THROATED, and SONG SPARROWS. Then, a female AMERICAN GOLDFINCH joined the flock. As I was looking at the flock of waxwings, I spotted a BROWN THRASHER. Other than that, I saw a PALM WARBLER, which I would see several of throughout the day, a BLACK AND WHITE WARBLER, and several flocks of migrating RED WINGED BLACKBIRDS. There wasn't mcuh to find anywhere else. I found a thrasher and a mixed sparrow flock at Duck Island, but other than that, not much. As we were about to leave I spotted a BLACK AND WHITE WARBLER on a tree. Then I noticed a second bird nearby. A fellow birder identified it as a PINE WARBLER. Just before we left, I saw a mixed flock of sparrows near a sleeping man. Looking throush the flock, I found a PALM WARBLER and a RUBY CROWNED KINGLET. This wasn't a very great day due to SW winds.
Here is my species list

Mallard
Herring Gull
Rock Pigeon
Chimney Swift
Hairy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Blue Jay
Ruby Crowned Kinglet
American Robin
Gray Catbird
European Starling
Cedar Waxwing
Pine Warbler
Palm Warbler
Black and White Warbler
Song Sparrow
White Throated Sparrow
Northern Cardinal
Red Winged Blackbird
Common Grackle
American Goldfinch
House Sparrow

Total Number of Species: 22

No comments:

Post a Comment