Saturday, October 5, 2013

Trade a Warbler for a Bunting

On November 25, 2012, I was out with my family inn Alley Pond Park,Queens searching for New York's first ever VIRGINIA'S WARBLER! This bird nomally lives in the western United States, but decided to come celebrate Halloween in New York for reasons unrealated to the hurricane. When we got there, I could see the full extent of Sandy's damage. Unlike many parks, Alley Pond wasn't cleaned up that much, so there was fallen trees and debris everywhere. It felt eerie. They were no people and the only birds I saw were 2 TUFTED TITMICE. I occasionaly heard birds from time to time. When I approached Little Alley Pond, I heard a call that sounded like a small passerine. I went to try to find the bird, but it was inaccessable because of reeds and hurricane debris. I think it could've been the Virginia's Warbler, but I can't deny something else. After all, many birds were pushed north by the hurricane and some were still here at the time. When we were about to turn around, I ran into a female birder. I asked her if she saw the bird. She said no, but she told me that a PAINTED BUNTING had been found near a ballfield. Although I really wanted to look for the bird, my parents said no and we turned back. Just before we got to the parking lot, I saw birders across a ballfield looking at something. I met up with Eric Miller, who discovered the bird. It was a female, hidden in a dead bush. She was beautiful. Even though I think the warbler was better than the bunting, I think it was still worth going there.

Bird Species: 3

Tufted Titmouse
PAINTED BUNTING
Unkown Passerines

No comments:

Post a Comment