Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Prospecting for Waterfowl

So on Sunday I went to Prospect Park in Brooklyn for the first time. I was headed for the annual raptorfest. It was really hard to find, and we got totally lost. Along the way we some great birds. On Prospect Lake, there was a flock of 7 RUDDY DUCKS. In a tree in the same spot where I first spotted the ducks, there were a few RUBY CROWNED KINGLETS. I saw lots of them throughout the day. These birds numbers usually reach thier peak around the 20th, so they aren't much to brag about now. Around that time I also saw a BLACK and WHITE WARBLER, which may be the last of the season. From that point on I didn't see much at all. Then, we got directions and followed them. This led us to a path next to an isolated part of the lake.There was a flock of dabbling ducks feeding there. I didn't think much about it, until I saw that some of the ducks had patches of white on thier sides. Looking closer at the ducks, I saw a head pop up. It was unmistakable. With its distinctive white stripe on its face I knew what it was. It was a BLUE WINGED TEAL! Life bird number 163! And there was also at least 2 more birds in the flock and 3 NORTHERN SHOVELERS. When we got to raptorfest, the only wild raptors I saw were RED TAILED HAWKS. When we left, the last bird I saw was an AMERICAN COOT hunting near a flock of MALLARDS. The day was good with birds of prey being traded for waterfowl.

Species List

Canada Goose
Mute Swan
Mallard
Blue Winged Teal
Northern Shoveler
Ruddy Duck
Double Crested Cormorant
Red Tailed Hawk
American Coot
Rock Pigeon
Herring Gull
Mourning Dove
Blue Jay
Ruby Crowned Kinglet
American Robin
Gray Catbird
European Starling
Black and White Warbler
White Throated Sparrow
Northern Cardinal
Red Winged Blackbird (heard)
House Sparrow

No comments:

Post a Comment