Sunday, February 8, 2015

A Rare Pair of Sparrows and Finches

On today's birdwalk, we first went to the feeders and only found the American Tree Sparrow and the Fox Sparrow. We then wandered around a bit, and then went to the Reservoir (we did see a Hermit Thrush on the way there). There, we unfortunately didn't find a possible Thayer's or Iceland Gull, but we were able to get good looks at an American Coot and a female Wood Duck on the ice. We then went back to the feeders where we refound the Tree Sparrow and the Chipping Sparrow. I also hand fed a lot of titmice there, some even chasing others away from my hand! After we had lunch, I came back to see what was there, and also to get rid of my remaining peanuts. I stumbled into a bunch of people looking at a Pine Siskin on one of the small, yellow seed feeders. We also refound the Common Redpoll and they flew away and came back several times before I left. No new species for my year list, but it was a really fun day!

No comments:

Post a Comment