Thursday, February 12, 2015

Throwback Thursday #8: Marsh Sparrows

On October 20, 2012, I went biking on Randall's Island with my grandfather. I also wanted to see some Nelson's Sparrows that had been reported there. The wierd thing about this chase was that they were reported from a different marsh (the northeast one) on the island than the one I was at (the center one, but as soon as I got there, I saw a few sparrow-like birds fly across the marsh. I planned to come back for them, and went to the north end of the island and saw a Belted Kingfisher. It doesn't count for my New York County list however, because it was hunting on the Bronx side of the river. When we went back to the marsh, I got good enough looks at one of the birds to confirm my suspicions. They were the Nelson's Sparrows. That day was a fun and great chase for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment