Thursday, March 19, 2015

Dominican Republic Days 1 & 2!

Greetings from the Dominican Republic! My first bird was a vulture seen as the plane was landing. This was followed at the airport by a pair of swifts, a Northern Mockingbird, and a Mourning Dove. On the way to the hotel, I saw more vultures and swifts, as well as a few Great and Cattle Egrets. When we got there, I saw a trio of Gray Kingbirds, which were very common around there. At the pool, I also saw 2 Hispaniolan Woodpeckers. Antillean Palm Swifts were very common around there too, as well as some Chimney Swifts mixed in. There were also many Greater Antillean Grackles around. The next day, I saw my first Brown Pelican(s) of the trip, as well as my first identifiable look at a Hispaniolan Amazon, an uncommon endemic parrot. I also found out the the swifts nest in some of the thatched huts around here. On a side note, I also saw a bat fly past me yesterday evening. This morning, I saw a Mangrove Cuckoo in a tree. As I write this, I'm listening to the chatter of Gray Kingbirds outside. I can't wait to see what else is around here in the coming days.

No comments:

Post a Comment