Sunday, March 29, 2015

Spring is Arriving...Slowly

Today on the birdwalk I went on, we started at the feeders and got the Chipping Sparrow, along with Fox and Song Sparrows. We saw many of both species, with Song Sparrow being everywhere. As we were trying to find things like woodcocks and Eastern Phoebes,It seemed so hard that I said to the guide "Let's find a Bald Eagle or something". Just 5 minutes later, I somehow managed to get a brief look at a juvenile Bald Eagle flying west! I expected to get this species in the fall when many migrate through here, but I guess anything can happen here. I think by now, I'm just jinxing all the birds this month! Speaking of phoebes, we did manage to find one not long after that near the Humming Tombstone. After that phoebe, we went to Tupelo Meadow, where we found our first migrant Hermit Thrush. Then, we went to Shakespeare Garden (nothing was there), and then headed to Strawberry Fields. When we stopped along the way to look for waterfowl on the now-unfrozen Lake, we spotted an early Black-Crowned Night Heron in a tree on the north side. There was also a pair of Buffleheads there too. When we got to Strawberry Fields, we saw a Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker and I FINALLY added Northern Mockingbird to my year list. We then went to Sheep Meadow to see if Red-Tailed Hawks were using a nest there from last year. Apparently they weren't (yet), but we did get another phoebe there. We then headed to the feeders and then lunch. After lunch, I saw a woodcock with others very camoflouged near Azalea Pond and then set off to find a reported Belted Kingfisher at Turtle Pond. I couldn't find it, but I did get my third Eastern Phoebe of the day as a consolation prize. Four new year birds made this a very fun day!

#55. Bald Eagle
#56. Eastern Phoebe
#57. Black-Crowned Night Heron
#58. Northern Mockingbird

No comments:

Post a Comment