Monday, November 2, 2015

A Few Late Warblers

Last Saturday, I went into the park as usual, and found lower numbers of the expected species, such as kinglets and Yellow-Rumped Warblers. A surprise at the Azalea Pond waterfall was a late male BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLER actively feeding in the low trees. I started heading north, but then heard a report of a Red-Headed Woodpecker from the Oven, not yet on my year list. I rushed to the site, passing the warbler again, and looked. There seemed to be many woodpeckers of multiple species in the area, but no Red-Headed was seen or heard. I then checked on the warbler for a third time. It was still there, but then I noticed another bird with it. A female Black-Throated Blue Warbler! As I was typing out a report, I spotted something brown drinking from the stream that was not one of the numerous Hermit Thrushes. An OVENBIRD! Other than that, I saw nothing much of interest, and left the park with about 40 species seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment