Monday, November 9, 2015

Early November Diversity

I went into the park this morning. Diversity was expected at this time of year to be low, with a few things to be found. After one unsuccessful attempt 20 minutes earlier, I tried again to find the Red-Headed Woodpecker at the Oven. I couldn't hear it, so I looked up, and immidiately saw the woodpecker! Then, I heard a report of a young White-Crowned Sparrow at Locust Grove. I went there and found it pretty easily. I then headed up to the Pinetum, where I found a few Yellow-Rumped Warblers. Just as I was about to leave it, I saw a large, black bird in the distance. A Turkey Vulture! I headed out from the Pinetum to the Reservoir, where there were many ducks, including my first Buffleheads of the season (12 of them!). Today showed that diversity can even show this late in the year.

Species:

Yellow-Rumped Warbler
Hermit Thrush
Chipping Sparrow (Maintenance Field)
White-Crowned Sparrow
Song Sparrow
White-Throated Sparrow
Dark-Eyed Junco
American Goldfinch (2 at Maintenance Field)
RED-HEADED WOODPECKER
Red-Tailed Hawk
Cooper's Hawk
TURKEY VULTURE
Bufflehead
Ruddy Duck
Northern Shoveler
Gadwall

No comments:

Post a Comment