Saturday, November 21, 2015

A Late Warbler and Some Other Stuff

I went into the park on Sunday entering at the Reservoir and 90th street. My first target was a Ring-Necked Duck that has been seen there for a week. It didn't take more than a few minutes to find the bird, which was feeding extremely close to shore. With that out of the way, I checked out what else was there. There were several species of ducks at the southern side of the Reservoir, along with a Pied-Billed Grebe. Next, I went to the Pinetum, where I found a few slightly late Chipping Sparrows. I then went into the Upper Lobe. There were many goldfinches and White-Throated Sparrows there. As I sifted through them in hopes of finding something interesting, I spotted a small, streaky bird foraging along a tree branch. I immediately recognized it as a BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER! Why this bird was here so late is a mystery, but there always seem to be late warblers of a variety of species in November. I then went to the Gill, where Rusty Blackbirds and Purple Finches have been seen. It didn't take long to find a Rusty Blackbird. There were actually 3 of them, all hanging out together. After looking for Purple Finches for awhile, I eventually found a female bird drinking from the stream. After that, I saw another female Purple Finch at the feeders. A great day of birding today!

No comments:

Post a Comment