Thursday, November 5, 2015

Red-Headed in The Oven

Last Monday, I decided to take a second shot at the reported immature Red-Headed Woodpecker at the Oven. After briefly surveying the Reservoir and the Pinetum, I headed towards the Ramble. But first, I went to Maintenance Meadow to search for a late male Wilson's Warbler. After 5 minutes of searching, I ran into another birder, and started telling her about the late bird, when I saw a flash of yellow in the grass. The warbler! I quickly moved to a better angle and got a good look at the bird. Next, I went to the Oven to find the woodpecker. When I got there, someone told me to listen for the bird, and I instantly heard the queer-queer alarm call of the bird. It didn't take long to spot, and it offered really high, but still good looks. Based on the behavior of the bird, including making roost holes and storing acorns, many birders think that this bird will stay for at least several weeks, perhaps all winter. A nice year bird to raise the total to 155.

Species List:

WILSON"S WARBLER
Palm Warbler
Yellow-Rumped Warbler
Ruby-Crowned Kinglet
Hermit Thrush
Gray Catbird (Maintenance Meadow)
Winter Wren
Chipping Sparrow
Song Sparrow
White-Throated Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
Field Sparrow (Locust Grove)
Dark-Eyed Junco
American Goldfinch (Shakespeare Garden)
RED-HEADED WOODPECKER
Ruddy Duck
American Black Duck (Turtle Pond)
Northern Shoveler

No comments:

Post a Comment