Thursday, March 10, 2016

Day 67: Horned Grebe!

On Sunday, a Horned Grebe was spotted on the Reservoir, which I missed that day. Horned Grebes are normally found along the coast and only a handful have been seen here. On Monday evening, I circled the whole reservoir looking for the grebe, but couldn't find it. Then, I ran into another birder who showed me a photo of a bird she couldn't identify. The Horned Grebe. She directed me to where the bird was and soon I was looking at the black and white grebe (Year Bird #61), diving among our familiar waterfowl. The next day, I spotted it again, but didn't have as great views as I did the day before. A great addition to the year list! On a side note, the first Eastern Phoebes of the year have been seen in Central Park, so I better get out as soon as I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment