Friday, March 18, 2016

Easy Year Birds and More Grebes

Sorry for the break in posts. Anyway, on Sunday I added two birds to the year list that were pretty easy to get. The first was a Gray Catbird seen at the feeders. This was a bird that had wintered in the Ramble. I then went to the Pond to chase a Great Blue Heron, and it was easy to spot what was essentially a big blue beacon. Then on Thursday, someone told me that they had seen two Horned Grebes in the Lake. It seemed very unusual, but it wasn't really out of my way, so I went there. To my amazement, there were actually two Horned Grebes molting in to breeding plumage! I watched the grebes and a few times they tried to walk on shore, but were unable to. Not a year bird, as I had seen one over a week earlier at the Reservoir, but still a very interesting sighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment