Sunday, March 13, 2016

Phirst Phoebes of 2016

On Thursday, Eastern Phoebes began to be reported in Central Park, unusually early for this migrant. This movement must've been brought on by the May-like weather at the time, which was in the upper 70s. I wasn't able to go out that day, so on Friday evening, I set out to find a phoebe in Central Park. Migration was clearly in the air, I when I first entered the park at the Reservoir, you could see a sign of it, which was a flock of 40 Double-Crested Cormorants there. Then, I made my way through the Pinetum, where a large flock of Song Sparrows carpeted the ground. I then searched Turtle Pond, where I've had days with several phoebes there at once, but it was birdless. Next, I went into the Ramble to try to find a phoebe. I only got to the Humming Tombstone when I saw a sparrow sized bird sitting on a branch. A look through my binoculars confirmed my suspicion. It was my first EASTERN PHOEBE (Year bird #62) of the year! After that. I went to Tupelo Field, where there was a huge flock of about 20 Fox Sparrows. These, along with Song Sparrows are also early migrants. I then made my way to the feeders, stopping to watch some Song Sparrows bathe in the Gill's source. That's when out of nowhere, another phoebe appeared out of a bush! But then, it kept disappearing and reappearing in different parts of the bush. When it chased another bird, it became clear that these were both Eastern Phoebes, bringing my day count up to 3. Hopefully kinglets and warblers are just around the corner!

No comments:

Post a Comment