Saturday, March 26, 2016

First Migrant Warblers of 2016

On Friday evening, I went into Central Park trying to find a Pine Warbler. Despite looking and chasing a report on Thursday, I couldn't find one. I then looked at the reports and realized there was one good place that hasn't had any sightings, which was the Pinetum. It was great for them in the fall, so I went to look for them there. When I arrived, I started hearing a strange high-pitched chipping noise. Juncos started to fly in, potentially causing me to confuse them with Pine Warblers. I then saw a small bird in one of the budless trees, and saw that it was a bright male PINE WARBLER (Year bird #68). It became apparent that the chipping did not come from this bird. I found out a few moments later that it came from another male Pine Warbler. I watched the birds forage for several minutes before leaving. Hopefully other early warblers are not far behind!

No comments:

Post a Comment