Monday, December 26, 2016

End of Florida Trip

On Christmas Day, my last in Florida, I didn't think I would add any more birds to the trip list. However, I added two new birds. First was a heard-only Red-Bellied Woodpecker in the community. Second was a roadside Loggerhead Shrike on the way to the airport. Overall, this was a very productive trip, with many incredible birds seen. Here are some stats from the trip.

# of species: 65
Non-natives: 7 (Pigeon, Starling, House Sparrow, Muscovy Duck, Egyptian Goose, Gray-Headed Swamphen, Monk Parakeet)
Most Unexpected: Tie between Wilson's Snipe and Caspian Tern (both flyovers). Brown Pelican also deserves a mention because I spotted a pair of birds several miles from the coast.

Lifers (16):
Wood Stork, Muscovy Duck, Mottled Duck, Tricolored Heron, Black Vulture, Sandhill Crane, Caspian Tern, Anhinga, Limpkin, Gray-Headed Swamphen, Common Gallinule, Wilson's Snipe, Black-Bellied Whistling Duck, Purple Gallinule, Egyptian Goose, Loggerhead Shrike.

Likely Species Seen:
Dove sp.: I saw a lot of doves, but they were always driveby birds. Mourning Dove and Eurasian Collared Dove are both common here, and I probably saw both. White-Winged Dove is also found here.
Great-Crested Flycatcher and Western Kingbird: I saw a few driveby birds that looked good for Great-Crested Flycatcher, and one that looked good for Western Kingbird, but did not get a firm ID.

No comments:

Post a Comment