Sunday, December 18, 2016

Palm Beach Day 1

I'm currently in Palm Beach, Florida. I'm hoping to find a lot of new birds for my life list. I will be posting every day to update readers on my progress.I arrived last night, so I didn't see any birds save for a few ducks I think were mallards. We arrived at our lakeside community late at night. The next morning, I headed to one of the lakes to see what was there. I spotted a Little Blue Heron, a Glossy Ibis, and lots of Turkey Vultures. I then went to a restaurant for breakfast, and I the way I added starlings, pigeons, White Ibisies, Boat-Tailed Grackle, and Great Egret. Outside the restaurant, I scanned the skies and found a pair of Black Vultures soaring with the numerous Turkey Vultures, my first lifer of the trip. I  then went food shopping, and added Osprey, Northern Mockingbird, a roadside Belted Kingfisher on the way. When I got there  I saw a large black and white bird soaring overhead. It was a Wood Stork, my second lifer of the trip! I also spotted a Cooper's Hawk too. When I got back to the community, a Cattle Egret greeted me at the entrance, and I also spotted my first Mottled and Muscovy ducks, both lifers, as well as another Wood Stork and some Snowy Egrets. That evening, I spotted a pair of Blue-Gray Gnatcatchers and a Northern Parula, but that was nothing compared to the flock of Palm and Yellow-Rumped Warblers settling in for the night. I saw 21 species today, and hope to add more in the coming days

No comments:

Post a Comment