Thursday, December 22, 2016

Palm Beach Day 4 & 5

Yesterday, I stuck to birding in the community. Still, I added 3 new species, which were Eastern Phoebe, Black-and-White Warbler, and 2 Brown Pelicans, the latter of which flew over a mall I was getting lunch at (despite being several miles from the coast). Today I went to the Wakodahatchee Wetlands. I expected it to be similar to the Green Cay Wetlands, but it was very different. While Green Cay had vast tracts of marsh bordered by groves of trees, the Wakodahatchee Wetlands had areas of marsh grasses, open water, and many tiny islands. The birds were also more active, with the shrieking of the Common Gallinules echoing throughout the marshes. Unlike Green Cay, there was a rookery, and some of the birds were already building nests. One Great Blue Heron nest even had two chicks! I added 3 species to my list, which were Black-Bellied Whistling Ducks, Purple Gallinule (which I missed at Green Cay), and Black-Crownrd Night Heron. With my trip total sitting around 60 species, I don't think I can add more than a few more to the list, but I'll just have to wait and see!

1 comment:

  1. Jordan, if you're still going to be around on the 28th and want to bird with the Boca CBC team email me at flapick *at* live.com

    ReplyDelete