Saturday, December 24, 2016

Palm Beach Day 6 & 7

Day 6 didn't feature much birding, and no new species were added that day. However, today on Day 7, I went on an airboat ride through Loxahatchee  NWR (basically the Everglades). On the way there, I finally spotted the other one of two introduced waterfowl species to south Florida, which came in the form of three Egyptian Geese on the side of the road. As I progressed closer to the refuge, the typical Florida scenery transformed into forests and wetlands. I saw a few deer run by, and American Kestrels (finally added this) and Red-Shouldered Hawks lined the road. At the refuge entrance, Northern Rough-Winged Swallows lined the wires, and Black Vultures crowded around the radio tower.  I was out on the water for about an hour, and I saw a lot of alligators and plenty of herons and Anhingas. Despite the abundance of wildlife, I only added one species to the trip list, which were many Tree Swallows in the wetlands. Tomorrow is my last day in Florida, and I don't think I will see anything new, but I'll just have to wait and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment