Monday, April 11, 2016

Beautiful Brown Birds

On Sunday afternoon, I went into Central Park and headed straight for the Pond, where a Louisiana Waterthrush has been seen for several days. I failed to find it two days earlier, but hoped to locate it that day. I went for the northeast corner, where there is a small mudflat that waterthrushes like, but many city birds were bathing there, probably driving it off. I then scanned the north shore, when I saw a willow tree leaning into the water that looked good for a waterthrush. I then started to hear faint chipping and saw some movement. After a minute, a small bird flies across the Pond to my side. The Louisiana Waterthrush (Year Bird #76)! After seeing this as well as a Ruby-Crowned Kinglet and  a Swamp Sparrow there, I headed to the Ramble. Not much was there, but I did see two Brown Thrashers (Year Bird #77) at Azalea Pond. I then went to see a Black-Crowned Night Heron at the Lake, which was easy to spot. I then went to Turtle Pond, where I saw a Tree Swallow. The Pinetum, was barren, only yielding one Pine Warbler. I later returned to Turtle Pond looking for a Northern Rough-Winged Swallow, and decided to wait. After about 15 minutes the swallow (Year Bird #78) finally appeared and stayed for quite a while. 3 year birds and 47 species were definitely great for the day. More warblers feel like their just around the corner .

No comments:

Post a Comment