Sunday, April 3, 2016

More Early April Migrants in the Palm of my Hand

Yesterday, I went into Central Park hoping to find the two migrants that I missed on Friday, which were Chipping Sparrow and Palm Warbler. Anyway, my strategy for finding the Chipping Sparrow was to head to the bird feeders to see if there was a Chipping Sparrow there after heading to each spot. It took me four tries, but I found one (Year bird # 74) there. I also saw 2 Blue-Gray Gnatcatchers, one at Azalea Pond and another at the Point, as well as a pair of Golden-Crowned Kinglets at the latter location. I then went to Maintenance Meadow and saw a birder walking there, then suddenly stop and look at the ground. I thought she was looking at a Northern Flicker (they were everywhere), but she was actually looking at a Palm Warbler (Year bird #75)! I also found a second bird there too. I then saw am aggressive pair of Ruby-Crowned Kinglets at Turtle Pond, and at least three Pine Warblers at the Pinetum. Overall, it was better than Friday, and I saw my remaining targets.

No comments:

Post a Comment