Saturday, April 2, 2016

March to April = Winter to Migration

Yesterday it was bright and warm, the cherry blossoms were blooming, and a wave of migrants had arrived in the city, so it was a great time to find year birds in Central Park. I went there that afternoon. I started at the Reservoir, where there were usual waterfowl. and then went to the Pinetum, where there was nothing. I then headed to Turtle Pond, where I saw a Great Egret (Year bird #70) hunting in the shallows. After that, I went into the Ramble and went into the Upper Lobe. I read a report of my phone about which migrants became more numerous recently, including Chipping Sparrows, Ruby-Crowned Kinglets, and Blue-Gray Gnatcatchers. I then hear a strange call, sounding a bit like a Blue Jay got something got stuck in its throat. It sounded exactly like a Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher (Year bird #71). I decided to hang around there for a few minutes to see it the caller would reveal itself. It did, and offered me great views. I then met up with my friend, Ryan and went to try to find more migrants. At Tupelo Meadow, we saw a pair of Swamp Sparrows (Year bird #72) and an Eastern Phoebe. After a bit, we went to Maintenance Meadow to try to find a Field Sparrow in a flock of Chipping Sparrows, both of which would be new for the year. We arrived there as thunder was cracking. It seemed that most of the birds were taking shelter in the brush from the impending storm, but we did manage to find the Field Sparrow (Year bird #73) before the rain started. With 4 new birds for the year, it was a great day, but there are still some migrants such as those Chipping Sparrows that I have yet to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment