Sunday, April 17, 2016

YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER Central Park!

On Thursday afternoon, a Yellow-Throated Warbler was reported at the source of the Gill in Central Park. When I arrived around 4:30, I was informed that it has disappeared not long before. I looked a bit in a few sites, when it was seen again at Maintenance Meadow. I arrived too late again, but it allowed a perfect opportunity to look for a White-Eyed Vireo that has been seen here for the last two days. It didn't take long to find the White-Eyed Vireo (Year Bird #81) which was low and gave great views on the east side of the meadow. After enjoying the vireo for a LONG time, I spotted a small crowd of people at the other end of the meadow. I looked at them through my binoculars and realized they were birders, probably looking at the warbler! I rushed over there and treated myself to decent views of my life YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER (Year Bird #82)! The next afternoon, I was able to get great views of both birds once again, as they were easier to keep track of with so many people. This rarity was one I didn't think I had a chance of seeing, but thanks to a likely irruption of this species (several in the city and Long Island, and with bad winds!) many people got good looks at these scarce spring overshoots.

No comments:

Post a Comment