Monday, April 25, 2016

Two Away From 100

Since I didn't have school on Saturday, I was able to bird in the morning, starting at 8:30. It started out raining, causing most birds (except Swamp Sparrows, which were numerous) to not be visible, but it let up less than an hour later. This is when the show began. Flocks of warblers began to show, and that's when I decided to climb a slippery rock above Azalea Pond to get a better view of the flocks (the light was terrible all day). I started picking out birds. Yellow-Rumped, Pine (which turned out not to be a warbler, but more were singing), Black-and-White. I then saw something whiz by me that looked like a hummingbird. It briefly perched on a nearby short tree and I was able to see that it was a female/immature RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRD (Year Bird #92)! Only one had been seen here before in 2016, so this was a real surprise. A birding group came over to the spot, and showed me that the "Pine Warbler" was in fact a Yellow-Throated Vireo (Year Bird #93), a second for the park this season, after they had seen one earlier at the Oven. I then went to the Upper Lobe, where I met up with Ryan and heard a Common Yellowthroat (Year Bird #94) and saw a Northern Parula (Year Bird #95) singing. We then went to look for a Green Heron at Turtle Pond, but were only able to find a Black-Crowned Night Heron. We then went to the Riviera and then to Tueplo Meadow, where I heard a Black-Throated Green Warbler singing (Year Bird #96). A Yellow-Throated Warbler was seen there, but only by a few people and not refound. The Green Heron was sighted again at Maintenance Meadow, but only briefly. Then, just as I was about to leave, it was reported again at Azalea Pond. This time, I was able to catch up with it, and I got great looks of the heron (Year Bird #97) in a tree. As I was looking at the heron, a Barn Swallow (Year Bird #98), a bit overdue, flew over. A great day with 10 warbler species either heard or seen, and 51 species detected in total. I wonder what my next 2 additions will be, as they will be birds #99 and 100!

No comments:

Post a Comment