Saturday, May 16, 2015

A Busy Saturday Afternoon

Today I went out for some afternoon birding in Central Park. I started at The Point, where there were many warblers, including many American Redstarts and Common Yellowthroats. I also saw a Chestnut-Sided Warbler bathing in the stream there. Then, I started to head north to Tupelo and Maintenance Meadows, but first I wanted to make a quick stop at Azalea Pond to see what was there. This turned out to be an amazing detour, harboring some of the best birds of the day. When I arrived, I saw a Canada Warbler and a few Scarlet Tanagers. I then ran into a guy and asked him what he saw. He told me (the usual suspects) and then spotted a perched Olive-Sided Flycatcher. It was high up, but it was out in the open and gave good views. I ran into a small group of birders and they told me they saw a Bay-Breasted Warbler at the other side of the pond that flew in this direction. I then spotted a warbler low in a tree. The Bay-Breasted Warbler! Almost immediately after that we spotted a second bird. Both birds, which were males, gave great views (some said there were 3). I then headed north to my intended destinations. I saw many Swainson's Thrushes and Ovenbirds, but nothing really of interest. I headed back to Azalea, where I saw the Olive-Sided Flycatcher be chased off by a grackle, as well as what might be my last flock of White-Throated Sparrows this season. The Olive-Sided Flycatcher, Chestnut-Sided, and Bay-Breasted Warblers raise my species total for the year to 125. Good Birding.

No comments:

Post a Comment