Saturday, May 9, 2015

Good Afternoon Birding

Yesterday afternoon, I went rambling in the park looking for birds. I came across a birder I've met before named Fran, and we birded the point together. Within 10 minutes, I found an Indigo Bunting, Common Yellowthroat, Blackpoll Warbler, and Baltimore Oriole all bathing in the stream at The Point. I also found an Eastern Kingbird at the end of The Point. When we turned around, we found a Wilson's Warbler! We then continued on to the feeders, where we found 2 Scarlet Tanagers. I saw several more that day. We then headed for Triplet's Bridge to see a Mourning Warbler reported there. I searched for a Cape May Warbler the day before there, with no luck. Today would hopefully be different. But before we did that, we took a quick detour to Tupelo Meadow. We found a group of people looking at a Worm-Eating Warbler. A bad view, but a year bird nonetheless. I left Fran and continued on to Triplet's Bridge. When I arrived, the Mourning Warbler was only being seen by a few people, but we still had a Northern Waterthrush, Swainson's Thrush, and 2 Indigo Buntings to keep us company. During the time I was there, I had a handful of brief glimpses of the bird, which is considered "good views" if you're looking at a Mourning Warbler. At Turtle Pond, I saw a pair of Gadwalls. Maybe they will nest here? Today was a fun day, with 11 warbler species and 7 new year birds.

Species list:

MOURNING WARBLER (FOS)
Wilson's Warbler (FOS)
Northern Parula
Northern Waterthrush
Common Yellowthroat
Black-Throated Green Warbler
Worm-Eating Warbler (Lifer)
Blackpoll Warbler
Black-and-White Warbler
Yellow-Rumped Warbler
Magnolia Warbler
Warbling Vireo
Eastern Kingbird (FOS)
Indigo Bunting (FOS)
Scarlet Tanager (FOS)
Baltimore Oriole
Brown-Headed Cowbird
Swainson's Thrush (FOS)
Chimney Swift
Brown Thrasher
Northern Flicker
Gadwall
Savannah Sparrow
Eastern Towhee (heard)
House Finch

No comments:

Post a Comment