Sunday, May 24, 2015

Migration Starting to Slow Down

Sorry for the lack of posts lately. Birds are becoming less numerous, therefore reducing the number of interesting sightings greatly. I seem to be always below 10 species per day. Still,  First off, the SUMMER TANAGER was a new year bird on Wednesday. I was looking at warblers and orioles in a Tulip Poplar tree near The point with several others when one teenager (not me) spotted a young male Summer Tanager. I got a quick glimpse of it before it flew off. More interesting sightings came on Friday. Throughout the week, I went to The Gill to search for Gray-Cheeked Thrushes among the Swainson's. For some reason, likely related to habitat, I see more thrushes here than anywhere else, but only in the evenings or late afternoon. I struggled to tell them apart, so I was lucky today to run into a few birders who were also after these birds. After a bit, we were able to find a few definite Gray-Cheeked Thrushes, which were a new year bird. When we were done, I was about to leave when I spotted a yellow warbler bathing in The Gill. I initially blurted out Wilson's Warbler, but I noticed that the tail and face looked a bit odd. That's when the other birders chimed in. Hooded Warbler! We watched as the female bathed in the stream and went up into the trees until it disappeared. At the time, my year list was boosted to 130. I added 2 more today, but I'll talk about that in another post. Good Birding!

No comments:

Post a Comment