Saturday, May 2, 2015

First May Birding

I went rambling about this afternoon. There were less birds than I hoped for, but I still got some new year birds. I started at The Point, where there were many Yellow-Rumped and Black-and-White Warblers. A birder I ran into there said he had the continuing Louisiana Waterthrush down in the trickle of water that runs there. As I went to see it (I didn't), I spotted a male American Redstart! This is one of the more common and colorful warblers of spring. Many people got to marvel at this bird. Later, I went to the Upper Lobe, where I found a House Wren and a Yellow Warbler. Then, I went to Tupelo Field, where I spotted a thrush that didn't appear to be the usual Hermit Thrush. A Wood Thrush! After that, I went to Turtle Pond, where there was nothing there. Back at the feeders, I saw the continuing male Rose-Breasted Grosbeak, which I also saw on Thursday. After this brief excitement, I saw nothing much besides a second House Wren at the Swampy Pin Oak. Near the end of the day. I saw a spectacular show of dozens of swallows feeding over the lake. Most were Tree, with many Barn and at least one Northern Rough-Winged. I added 4 new species to my year list (I heard Cedar Waxwing), bringing my total to 97. I wonder what my 100th species will be!

Species List:

American Redstart
Yellow Warbler
Palm Warbler
Yellow-Rumped Warbler
Black-and-White Warbler
Barn Swallow
Tree Swallow
Northern Rough-Winged Swallow
Blue-Gray Gnatcather (heard)
House Wren
Cedar Waxwing (heard)
Wood Thrush
Hermit Thrush
Rose-Breasted Grosbeak
Brown-Headed Cowbird
Song Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
House Finch

No comments:

Post a Comment