Sunday, May 10, 2015

Miserable May Morning?

Today was slow. I got to the park early expecting migrants, but didn't see/hear much. I heard a Wood Thrush and House Wren along with a few warblers, as well as seeing a pair of Eastern Kingbirds and Gadwall at Turtle Pond, but nothing much besides that. On the walk I went on, we saw very few birds. The only common warblers were Yellow-Rumped, Parula, and Blackpoll, as well as a few Black-Throated Blues and Ovenbirds. We heard a report of a Cape May Warbler at Tupelo Meadow, so we went over there. The bird was there, but it took extremely long to get views of it that were identifiable and more than a few seconds long, but when we did, it was amazing! After that, I heard that there were 2, so maybe that's why everyone was looking all over the place, apart from it being in a flock of Yellow-Rumped and Blackpoll Warblers. Now I don't have to say that my only Cape May Warblers were seen in the Bahamas. We also had a female Scarlet Tanager there. Not long after, I had to leave to celebrate Mother's Day. At one quick stop at The Point, a guy told me about a Yellow-Billed Cuckoo at Willow Rock. I went there to search for it. I found a tree that looked just right for a cuckoo, and almost immediately, I saw something move, It was a big bird with a slender body and long tail, but the light was so bad, I can't be sure if it was a cuckoo or a grackle. Therefore, it won't count for the year list. It disappeared before I could get my binoculars on it. Not a good day, but I got 2 year birds, which were the Cape May Warbler and a Red-Eyed Vireo heard and later seen

Species List:
CAPE MAY WARBLER
Northern Parula
Magnolia Warbler (heard)
Ovenbird
Black-Throated Blue Warbler
Blackpoll Warbler
Black-and-White Warbler
Yellow-Rumped Warbler
Gadwall
Eastern Kingbird
Veery
Wood Thrush (heard)
Baltimore Oriole
Scarlet Tanager
Red-Eyed Vireo
Warbling Vireo
Chimney Swift
Great Egret
Carolina Wren

No comments:

Post a Comment