Friday, May 15, 2015

Lincoln's Sparrow!

Yesterday evening, I went into the park to try to find some good birds. I started at Turtle Pond (empty), so I went to Maintenance Field. I saw a Blackpoll and Canada Warbler, as well as seeing what was likely a Northern Parula. Next I went to Tupelo to look for stuff, including a Lincoln's Sparrow that was reported there today. I saw a Black-Throated Blue Warbler there. I also saw a small sparrow briefly fly above the very dense undergrowth, but I did not see it again. I went back to check Maintenance to see if anything new came there. Nothing. Then, I went back to Tupelo just in case the mystery sparrow may have come foward. When I arrived, there were no people anywhere near where I saw it. After about 30 seconds, I saw the sparrow fly and land between two bushes, being visible. I put my binoculars on it. Lincoln's Sparrow! This is a life bird for me, Not much later, I found out that there were at least 2 other birds around at seperate locations. Those were also more visible than my bird, which few people saw. I then went to the point, where I found a Canada Warbler and what might be my last Yellow-Rumped Warbler of the season, while missing a Chestnut-Sided Warbler that was also there. 23 species and 1 new year bird raises my species total to 122. Good birding!

No comments:

Post a Comment