Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Chuckie in the Bag!!!

Yesterday morning, I heard about a Chuck-will's-widow sighted in Bryant Park. This nightjar it a very hard to spot bird, and is a rare migrant for the area. Since its nocturnal, it usually stays in the same place throughout the day, often moving away at night. I didn't want to miss the chance of seeing one. So after school yesterday, I set out to find the bird. Once I got there, it didn't take long to find the bird. It just looked like a little lump on a branch. I also went to see a lingering American Woodcock that has been around. I found it and it was out in the open and really easy to approach. It was very cool to watch it feed right out in the open. Most woodcocks have migrated through here, but this one seems to be doing fine. With the woodcock and Chuck in hand, it was definitely a good stop to make!

Year bird #73: CHUCK-WILL'S-WIDOW

No comments:

Post a Comment